Thursday, 17 December 2009

Skyline





I finished weaving my first warp today and have photographed a few of the experimental samples. I used unspun Thai silk in the weft which gives the fabric a sheer qaulity and soft handle. I have been using Doi Tung skyline as inspiration but I think cityscapes could be an interesting visual source too. I think the fabric is suitable for cushion cases or perhaps lightshades, I will wait for feedback from the design team!
I really enjoyed weaving the dipdyed warp, using a simple structure shows the colour gradations and allowed me to experiment with colour composition.
Over the weekend I will be working with the dye technician, she will be showing me natural dyeing techniques using materials such as clay, macademia shells, indigo and plant material. Skyline will continue to be my source of colour inspiration but the subtle colours of natural dyeing will deffinately produce different results from reactive dyes. I am looking forward to using a process which require simplicity, quality materials and respect for the environment. I will keep you posted with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment